Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Making the Grade

I never thought I would be saying this so soon but here it is ....
I PASSED!
For those of you who have been my loyal supporters over the past year will know what I'm talking about and why I'm soo excited. For the rest of you I'll explain.


What am I talking about...


I've been studying piano since I was 8 but for the past year or so my goal has been the Royal Conservatory of Music's level 10 piano exam. Which meant long hours of piano practice on top of violin stuff and teaching. I was able give it a go the end of November and just got my results.


What is RCM....


RCM is a school in Canada that offers a certification for pretty much every instrument... levels 1-10 and then a performance or pedagogy (a fancy word for teaching) diploma is an option after that. They recently opened exam centers in the US so I was blessed to have one less than an hour away from where I live. If you are interested in more info you can visit their website: http://www.nationalmusiccertificate.org/(they just changed the name for the US branch to National Music Certificate Program, not nearly as good a name as their last one in my opinion.)


Why am I doing this...


Teaching violin and piano seemed to drop in my lap so to speak 3 years ago and now I don't want to stop. So this program gives me the extra education I need without leaving my home or my students.


Why am I so excited...

The piano playing exam requires five works and two etudes memorized along with scales in all keys and forms that I didn't even know existed (memorized of course), and to top it all off ear tests and sight reading on the spot. For those who like performing and can memorize quickly, this would be no problem I'm sure. But in my case, I need to analyze every measure before I even get close to memorizing and I get physically ill when I have to perform. So I never really thought I could pass one of these things. To tell you the truth I had decided it would be an accomplishment if I made it through in one piece! Only through God's grace was this possible for me... that is why I'm so excited! It's always amazing to see how God uses our weakest areas to show His strength.


I learned so much more than notes in preparation for this.... and that's the best part of all! Now it's on to the next one.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

BRAVO !!!!

You certainly worked hard and God blessed your efforts . Thank-you for brightening my life with your music everyday !!!!

Mom

Marissa said...

Kaitlin! This is wonderful!!! I knew you would pass.=) I'm so proud of you. But I can't believe you didn't call me... haha oh well. Now you know that I really do read your blogs. lol

Kaitlin said...

Mom...
I couldn't have done it without you! I'm glad that hearing my pieces over and over again brightened your days... I kinda pictured the opposite. Thanks for making this possible!!!

Marissa...
Thanks! I was really sparing you by not calling... it was rather late and knowing where you keep your cell phone at night, I doubt that would have been appreciated:) You are now an official blog reader and commenter! Welcome~

Anonymous said...

Way to go, way to go. I never imagined that you wouldn't pass though.

You're too cool not to pass stuff. Good job.

Stephen Bittner said...

What a relief for you, I can imagine! Congratulations on your success.

Kaitlin said...

Brother of mine...
Wow, what a compliment! I'm glad I didn't abolish your image of me. I'll do my best to keep it that way... but I wouldn't count on it. Thanks for the support!

StephenB...
Hey you found my blog.... Welcome! Your right about the relief. I send my thanks to you and your family for being my (much needed) spectacular audience at my recital/mock exam!!!